National and State Medical Interpreter Certification Entities
Becoming nationally certified opens opportunities for employment. Interpreters who hold a national certification have the credentials and skills to provide high quality interpreting services in health care.
Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI) | Recommended Resources:
- Information on Becoming Certified or Renewing Certification
- CCHI Candidate’s Examination Handbook
- Continuing Education Accreditation Program: CCHI’s National Training Provider Registry provides healthcare interpreters and providers an avenue to find continuing education programs.
- Upcoming CCHI Webinars
The National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters (NBCMI) | Recommended Resources:
- Preparation for CMI (Certified Medical Interpreter) Exams
- CMI Candidate Handbook
- Informational Monthly Webinar
- Upcoming Events
There are also state certification exams for medical interpreters in the following states:
- Washington. The testing and certification process is administered by the Washington State Dept. of Social and Health Services. Navigate to their Language Testing and Certification Program webpage for more information.
- Oregon. Obtain more information from the Oregon Health Care Interpreters Association website. Certification in Oregon is the responsibility of the Oregon Health Authority’s Office of Equity and Inclusion.
- Utah. In Utah, the certification of medical interpreters is the responsibility of the Utah’s Dept. of Commerce Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing.